Free School Meals
If you think you might be eligible for free school meals, please ensure you apply as soon as possible following the instructions below.
Benefits you will receive:
- Free school meal for your child each day
- Reduced music instrumental tuition fees
- Discounts on some school trips
- Bursaries in the sixth form
- The school receives additional funding, which benefits all students
How do you know if you are eligible for free school meals?
Children are entitled to receive free school meals if they or their parents or guardians receive any of the benefits below:Income Support
* Income Support
* Income–based Jobseeker’s Allowance
* Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
* Child Tax Credit if your taxable income is less than £16,190 and you are not
entitled to Working Tax Credit
* the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
* support under Section VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
* Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for
Working Tax Credit
* Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 and your household
income is less than £7,400 a year after tax and before benefits
Children who get paid these benefits directly, and not through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child might also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
* younger than the compulsory age for starting school, and
* in full-time education
You may be eligible if you have no recourse to public funds, see gov.uk for more details
How to apply for free school meals using the on-line application form
You must apply for free school meals by logging on to the citizens’ portal: https://www.islington.gov.uk/children-and-families/help-with-childcare-and-family-costs/free-school-meals-and-uniform-grant
How to use the Citizens’ Portal
Go to the ‘Citizens’ Portal User Journey Guide’ for step-by-step instructions on how to use the Citizens Portal and to apply for free school meals. You must have a working e-mail address to use the Citizens Portal. Please contact the school office if you do not have an e-mail address and need help setting one up or if you need access to the internet.