The Student Council at Highbury Fields School is made up of students from across years 7 - 13. The council meets on a monthly basis, however it has been known to meet more often if there are pressing matters to discuss or certain events have been organised, such as guest speakers visiting the school.
Reps what do they do?
Reps are elected by their tutor group to represent those students who elected them.
They act as a link between their form group, the rest of the year group and the school.
Reps have to be willing and able to put forward other people’s views even if they disagree with them.
What kind of person makes a good rep?
• Good listener - everyone in the form group has to feel comfortable talking to them.
• Organised - it is the reps responsibility to make sure meetings happen in the form group on a regular basis.
• Assertive – as the opinions of their form group are just as important as everyone else’s.
• Efficient – form group discussions must cover a lot of issues in a short space of time.
• Fair – as everyone has the right to express a point of view.
• Good communicator – reps need to be able to work with staff and students from across the school.
Rep has three main jobs:
• Collecting the views of the form group and passing them on to the school council.
• Letting the form group know what goes on in the meetings they attend.
• Taking an active part in meetings.
To do these jobs well reps should have regular meetings with their form group where they will listen to students concerns and issues and note them down. Remember that not everyone likes talking in meetings, so reps should be approachable and make it clear that students can talk to them at break times.
Reps will then put forward form groups views at key stage school council or whole school council meetings.
Reps are the link between the school/year council and form groups, so need to let the form group know what happened in the meetings, any decisions that were made or questions that need to be asked.
It is particularly important that reps know what is happening to suggestions made by their form group. It is also the reps job to let the form group know that their ideas and views are being taken seriously and that they have a voice.