Free School Meals
You may be eligible for free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit if your taxable income is less than £16,190 and you do not receive Working Tax Credit
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- support under Section VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
Children who get paid these benefits directly, and not through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child might also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school, and
- in full-time education
You much apply for this service using the citizens portal:
If your child is an Islington resident and is eligible for free school meals, they are eligible for the uniform grant as well. Islington Council will pay £150 to help meet the cost of school uniforms when your child transfers to secondary school from year 6.
Using the Citizens Portal
Click on this link to view the Citizens Portal User Journey Guide for step-by-step instructions on using the Citizens Portal and to register or apply for free school meals. You must have a working email address to use the Citizens Portal.