Free School Meals
Free School Meals - November 2017
Important update: You can ONLY apply on-line now for Free School Meals. The council is no longer accepting paper applications. Please follow instructions and information below about eligibility criteria.
Please contact the school if you need access to the internet to make your application as you will be able to come into the school to do this.
You may be eligible for free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit if your taxable income is less than £16,190 and you do not receive Working Tax Credit
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- support under Section VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit
- Please note that you are not eligible for Free School Meals if you receive Working Tax Credit except where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week.
Children who get paid these benefits directly, and not through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child might also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school, and
- in full-time education
How to apply for Free School Meals using the new on-line application form
You must apply for this service using the citizens portal: https://www.islington.gov.uk/children-and-families/benefits-and-financial-support/free-school-meals-and-uniform-grant
How to use the Citizens Portal
Click on this link to view the ‘Citizens Portal User Journey Guide’ for step-by-step instructions on how to use the Citizens Portal and to apply for free school meals. You must have a working e-mail address to use the Citizens Portal. Please contact the school office if you do not have an e-mail address and need help setting one up or if you need access to the internet.
If your child is an Islington resident and is eligible for free school meals, they are eligible for the uniform grant as well. Islington Council will pay £150 to help meet the cost of school uniforms when your child transfers to secondary school from year 6.